Conservation & Design
- Alterations to un-listed buildings
Article 4 Directions withdraw certain permitted development rights ‘in the interest of preserving or enhancing the character or appearance’ of a Conservation Area.
- Ancient Monuments
Ancient structures can get legal protection, preventing work that might damage or destroy them.
There's hundreds of thousands of years of human history buried beneath our feet. It's easier to make decisions about protecting this precious historical resource if we consider it early in the planning process.
- Conservation Areas
Some parts of our communities are of special architectural or historical interest, and have greater protection under the planning rules. Find out about Conservation Areas.
- Conservation Area Appraisals
North Norfolk Disrict Council is currently undertaking a programme of Conservation Area appraisals and management proposals for it 81 Conservation Areas.
North Norfolk has 81 conservation areas, more than 2200 listed buildings and 100 Scheduled Ancient Monuments. Get architectural design guidance here, so your building will fit into this unique and rich built environment.
- Development & Design Briefs
Development/Design Briefs are used for particularly contentious sites or sites of special interest; they give a more in depth indication of what the Council would expect of any new development and set out the backcloth for consideration of an application.
- Graham Allen Award
The annual Graham Allen Awards for Conservation and Design recognise the schemes that have made the most significant contribution to the improvement and conservation of North Norfolk's built environment.
- Historic Parks and Gardens
Our historic parks and gardens are, like buildings, an important part of our heritage, and planners have to consider any impact upon them when deciding planning applications.
- Listed Buildings
Listed Buildings are of special architectural or historic interest, and get special legal protection. Learn about Listed Building status, and how to apply for permission if you want to do work to the inside or outside of one.
- Planning & Design
- Building Control
- Conservation & Design
- Planning Policy
- Street and Property Naming and Numbering
- Planning Applications, Appeals & Enforcement
- Obtaining Planning Permission
- Trees & Landscape
- Local Land Charges
- Building excellence in the spotlight at regional awards - 11 March 2013
- North Norfolk District Council rebuffs Parliamentary criticism - 07 November 2012
- Historic lodge wins North Norfolk conservation and design award - 10 October 2012
- Planning policy documents 'sound' according to inspector - 14 December 2010
- NNDC agrees supermarket application for Cromer Road site at Sheringham - 14 October 2010