Find out about the government's scheme to help households with rising energy costs.

Page updated 21 December 2022

Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding

On Monday 19 December 2022, the government announced the Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding.

You must apply for this scheme through the GOV.UK website. Please do not contact us at North Norfolk District Council about this scheme.

Households in England, Scotland and Wales will be able to apply online on the GOV.UK website from January 2023. There will also be a helpline to support those without online access.

Previous schemes

The government announced two schemes to support households with the rising cost of living.

  • Mandatory scheme, provides most households in Council Tax bands A to D with a £150 one-off payment.
  • Discretionary scheme, provides councils with funding to give additional, carefully targeted support to households in their area.

Both of these schemes are now closed.

Discretionary scheme

This scheme is now closed.

How we will pay you

If you did not apply for the Discretionary Rebate Payment by 4 November 2022 and need support with your energy costs, you can apply for emergency funding.

If you have already completed an online form and have not received your payment by 1 December 2022, please contact 

To make a payment, we will need your bank account sort code and account number. If we hold this information on your Council Tax account, we will write to you and confirm that you don't need to send us your bank details.

If we do not have your bank details, we will write to you with advice on how to securely provide them to receive the payment.

For the purpose of the Energy Rebate Scheme, we will never ask you to share your banking details, such as PIN, card number, card expiry date or CVV number.

Get support and advice

Our cost of living help page offers advice and support on:

  • money, debts, and benefits
  • access to food
  • housing
  • support for children
  • energy, water, phone, and broadband costs

Mandatory scheme 

This scheme is now closed.

I haven't received my payment

If you do not complete an online application for the rebate by 30 June 2022, we will credit the £150 to your council tax account and issue you a new bill.

If you have already completed an online form and have not received your payment by 30 June 2022, please contact

If your property is eligible, and you have not recently moved or recently advised us that you have moved into your property, please contact us at

If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit 

We will make an automatic payment directly into your bank account. If your bank details pass all the validation checks, you should receive this payment in your bank account within five working days. You will receive a letter when this payment has been made. It will also tell you what to do if your circumstances have changed or you want to return the payment. 

If your bank details fail the validation checks. You will receive a letter advising you to apply online for the energy rebate.

Frequently asked questions

Who can get the £150 rebate?

Householders in Council Tax bands A to D properties will qualify for this rebate if the property is someone's sole or main residence, or it falls into one of the following exemption classes

  • N (wholly occupied by students)
  • S (wholly occupied by under 18s)
  • U (wholly occupied by the severely mentally impaired)
  • W (annexe of a sole or main residence, occupied by a dependant relative)

For the purposes of this scheme properties in band E with a disabled band reduction will also be eligible to receive this payment.

Second homes, empty properties and holiday lets will not be eligible for the payment.

If you don't know which Council Tax band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill, or visit GOV.UK: Check your Council Tax band.

Will the £150 be taken off my Council Tax bill?

If we have already invited you to apply and did not receive a completed web application for the rebate from you by 30 June 2022, we will credit the £150 to your council tax account and issue you with a new bill.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax. 

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax, please see our web pages on What to do if I cannot pay.

Where can I find out more information?

There is more information about the rebate and other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs on GOV.UK: