North Norfolk District Council – Garden Waste Collection Service Terms and Conditions
- The Garden Waste Collection Service is an annual subscription service. The subscription runs from 1st April to 31st March each year. Garden waste will be collected once each fortnight on your allocated day. Details of collection day and start date will be sent upon registration. Delivery of a bin and commencement of collections may take up to four weeks following your order. The Council reserves the right to supply bins which may have previously been used. The day of collection may be affected by Bank Holidays and exceptional circumstances such as inclement weather. Prior notification of a change of collection day will be provided where circumstances permit.
- The cost of the service will be advised to you during the sign up process and customers joining part way through the year will be charged a pro-rata amount. North Norfolk District Council reserves the right to vary the charge for the service, usually on an annual basis in April. A discount is offered for customers who pay by Direct Debit. By paying your annual subscription, you agree to these terms and conditions.
- All customers will receive an annual payment request, which must be paid within the timescale stated. The service may be suspended and bins reclaimed from any customers who fail to pay for the service by the due date. Only garden waste bins issued by North Norfolk District Council, with collections payments up to date, will be emptied. Wheeled bins remain the property of North Norfolk District Council.
- All garden waste bins must be presented at the edge of your property for collection by 7.00am on the day of collection. If the bin is not presented when the crew arrive, they will not return until your next collection is due. (Assisted collections are available to customers who are physically incapable of moving the bin to the edge of their property. Please contact us should you require this service.)
- Any missed bins must be reported within two working days of the due collection date. North Norfolk District Council cannot return to empty any bins reported as missed outside of this timescale.
- All material must be placed loose in the bin and should not be compacted in any way. Only garden waste and shredded paper may be placed in the bin. Garden waste does not include soil, turf or stone, kitchen waste or vegetable peelings, domestic waste or waste that should go in the recycling bin. No plastic bags of any kind may be put in the bin. Any such items will be treated as contamination.
- Contaminated bins will not be emptied. The customer will be notified of the issue and the bin will not be collected until the next collection is due and the contamination is removed. It is the responsibility of the customer to sort the contents of the bin and remove contamination.
- Bins that are considered to be too heavy for safe handling and emptying will not be emptied. The customer will be notified of the issue and the bin will not be collected until the next collection is due and the weight of the bin is reduced. It is the responsibility of the customer to sort the contents of the bin and reduce weight.
- The bin lid must be closed for safety reasons. Bins that are overflowing will not be emptied and additional green waste placed around/beside the bin will not be cleared.
- North Norfolk District Council will not empty the bin if it is moved to another property without notification. Customers participating in the scheme may transfer the service to a new address within North Norfolk should they move property, provided North Norfolk District Council is notified of the change of address.
- No refunds will be offered in cases of unsuccessful collections as detailed in, but not limited to, points 4, 5, 7, 8 & 9 of these terms and conditions or for cancellations part way through the subscription year.
- Customers wishing to share a bin must register the bin to one property, from which the collection will be made, and make one payment.
- North Norfolk District Council will replace any bin that is damaged whilst being emptied free of charge, except where damage is a result of prohibited waste being placed in the container by the customer. Customers will be responsible for the cost of replacing any bins that are damaged as a result of their actions.
- North Norfolk District Council will replace the first bin reported as lost or stolen free of charge, but may make a charge for the replacement of a further lost or stolen bin. Any s that become faulty through fair wear and tear will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
- North Norfolk District Council reserves the right to vary the service by giving customers advanced notice in writing. In the event of exceptional circumstances, e.g. extreme/inclement weather, we reserve the right to vary service standards without notice.
- North Norfolk District Council will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by a customer or third party in connection with the Garden Waste Collection Service.
- Nothing herein contained is intended to affect, nor will it affect, a customer’s statutory rights.
North Norfolk District Council (the Council), Holt Road, Cromer, Norfolk, NR27 9EN, is the data controller for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (EU) 2016 (GDPR) and associated domestic law. We will use your personal information for the purposes of the provision of Garden Waste Collection Services. The processing of this information is necessary for the Council to undertake a public task, i.e. the processing is necessary for the Council to perform a task in the public interest or for its official functions, and the task or function has a clear basis in law, in this case the Environmental Protection Act 1990, as amended. Your data will be used for this specific purpose and will be passed to Kier Services who are contracted to undertake the Garden Waste Collection Service on behalf of the Council. It may also be shared between Council departments and other agencies where there is lawful authority to do so. Your information will be kept strictly confidential. It will be stored separately from other information in a secure, password-protected database on the Council’s computer system. Your personal information will be kept for as long as you require Garden Waste Collection Services and for up to six years after the service is terminated. We will only use your data within the terms of data protection laws, will delete your data securely and only keep it for as long as necessary. We will review dates for keeping personal data in the future and if necessary update these privacy notices. You have a number or rights available to you, including the right to see copies of all the data held hold about you, to ask for it to be corrected or deleted, to request the Council to restrict what it does with your data in certain circumstances, to object to what the Council may do with your data, and to data portability. Please note that these rights are not absolute and there are circumstances where they do not apply or the Council may override these rights, however, if this is the case you will be informed of this. If you want more information you contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the Council on 01263 513811 and ask to speak to the Data Protection Officer. If you are unhappy with the way your personal information is being handled you can contact the independent Information Commissioner at: https://ico.org.uk.
Alternative Payment Options
- To pay by post, please send a cheque or postal order to North Norfolk District Council, Holt Road, Cromer, NR27 9EN. Please make your cheque / postal order payable to ‘North Norfolk District Council’ and write your name, address, postcode and phone number on the back of the cheque / postal order to ensure that we can allocate your payment to the right account.
- You can also make a payment in person by cash, cheque, postal order or credit / debit card by visiting the Council Offices in Cromer or Fakenham.
- To pay by phone, call us on 01263 516151.
Last updated: 2nd July 2018