Pay your council tax bill online

Sign up to pay by Direct Debit

Property Alterations

Conservation areas have extra planning controls to preserve or enhance their character and protect their settings.

If you live in or own a property within a conservation area you may need permission from the Council before making alterations such as:-

  • Demolishing any building or boundary over 1m high fronting a highway or 2m elsewhere within a conservation area.
  • Substantially alter or build a new structure/boundary.
  • Raising the ridge/expanding the size of a roof or inserting a dormer window.
  • Cladding walls (unless repairing or renewing an existing surface).
  • Installing a satellite dish - on an elevation fronting a highway, on a chimney, and on a building over 15 metres high.
  • Installing, altering or replacing a chimney, flue or vent pipe on a wall or roof on a principal or side elevation fronting a highway.
  • Front, side and two-storey rear extensions.
  • Detached ancillary buildings, garden sheds/stores to the side of a dwelling house.
  • Surfacing and ground works near trees.
  • Works to trees
  • Advertisements – internally illuminated advertisements are unlikely to obtain consent. 

If you’re unsure if planning permission is required please read Is planning permission need? 

Last updated: 28th January 2017