Property Alterations

If you live in or run a business from a property in a Conservation Area you may need permission from the Council before making alterations such as cladding, inserting windows, installing satellite dishes and solar panels, adding conservatories or other extensions, laying paving or building walls. The types of alterations/development that need permission can be altered by the District Council by the making of Article 4 Directions. It is therefore advisable to check before making arrangements to start any work.

You can check if your property is in a Conservation Area or is covered by an Article 4 direction

The Planning Portal provides advice in relation to a range of common building work projects.

Demolition or substantial demolition of a building within a Conservation Area will usually require permission from the Council.


If you are thinking of cutting down a tree or doing any pruning work you must notify the Council 6 weeks in advance. This is to give the Council time to assess the contribution the tree makes to the character of the Conservation Area and decide whether to make a Tree Preservation Order.