Set up a Direct Debit
All taxi drivers must work for a taxi operator of which there are two types:
- Private hire operator – five yearly licence required by proprietors of private hire vehicles. Private hire operators can also own hackney carriage vehicles but the licence is required for private hire vehicles.
- Hackney carriage operator – only requires registration and is for life unless surrendered or revoked. Drivers who wish to operate on a ply-for-hire basis or from a tank rank can register as a hackney carriage operator.
The application will be determined within 7 days from the receipt by this authority of an acceptable and complete application.
A copy of the taxi handbook is given to all new licensed taxi drivers. Copies can be purchased from NNDC (see taxi licensing fees) or downloaded below.
New Operator - Private Hire or Hackney Carriage
For a valid application we require ALL the following forms/documentation in order for the application to be processed. Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Operator New/Renewal Application Form (PDF)
- Planning Permission Decision Notice or confirmation from Planning that permission not required
- Public Liability Insurance if public have access to operator office.
Renewal Operator - Private Hire
Last updated: 20th April 2018