Sign up to pay by Direct Debit
Date published: 23rd June 2016
The latest round of Big Society Fund grants have been agreed, with North Norfolk District Council supporting a wide range of groups, including allotment holders, cyclists, churchgoers and young people.
NNDC's Big Society Fund offers grants of up to £15,000 to voluntary and community organisations based in North Norfolk.
Since the fund started in 2012, well over £1,000,000 has been awarded to more than 150 community projects.
The committee which oversees the grants meets four times a year. This time they approved grants totalling more than £65,500. The awards are subject to each group agreeing to formal terms and conditions.
BSF grant awards in this round were awarded to:
- Briston Wanderers Football Club (£3,000) for four new goals and a pitch marking machine.
- Bodham Village Hall (£7,000) for the replacement and upgrade of toilet facilities at the village hall.
- Active Fakenham (£3,872) for the purchase of a mobile health stall, three smoothie bikes and related equipment to promote healthy living and wellbeing.
- Stiffkey Parish Council (£572) so the Parish Council can fence off land they have recently leased for use as an allotment site. They will also buy a communal shed.
- Stiffkey Social Services Committee (£8,770) to buy and install play equipment and safety surfacing.
- Southrepps Parish Council (£2,230) so the Southrepps Commons Trust can purchase and install a storage container for equipment and tools, alarm and ancillary items.
- Activating CIC (£8,000) to create a Pedal Park at Scottow Enterprise Park that will be the region’s only traffic-free cycle park providing recreational riding, coaching and competition opportunities to the local community regardless of age, current physical activity levels or level of cycling experience.
- Sea Palling with Waxham Parochial Church Council (£1,200) to make the access to both the church room and the Nissen Hut safe for people of all ages and all abilities, including those who rely on walking aids and wheelchairs.
- Bale Village Hall (£12,000) for Phase 1 of the renovation of the village hall, which is construction of a new Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant toilet block.
- Thursford Parochial Church Council (£13,000) for Phase 3 of refurbishment of St Andrew’s Parish Church, which is provision and installation of a kitchen in the church.
- Withergate Rifle and Pistol Club (£6,000) for reconnection of the club to a mains electrical power supply.
Cllr Tom FitzPatrick, Leader of North Norfolk District Council and Cabinet Member for Big Society, said: “The range of people being helped by this round of Big Society Fund grants is particularly notable. All ages will benefit and the diversity of the interest groups is very wide. Health and wellbeing features across many of the groups being given grants, from allotments to cycling and smoothie bikes to a commons trust.
“I would encourage groups and organisations to put in an application for the next round. If you are not sure what to do, get in touch with us for advice, as we are keen to help as many groups and organisations as possible.”
If you have an idea or a project that you wish to develop and apply for funding, you are encouraged to speak to your local councillor and get in touch with the Council (via Sonia Shuter tel. 01263 516173, email email@example.com) or visit https://www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/tasks/big-society-fund/big-society-fund/
Last updated: 19th May 2017