If your business has been forced to close due to lockdown restrictions, you may be eligible for a grant
Date published: 7th December 2016
Do you know someone who deserves to be thanked for the work they do in the community or an organisation which deserves praise?
North Norfolk District Council is organising a Big Society Awards Night to thank the people and the projects that help to create a strong community.
The Big Society Awards Night, which has the support of North Norfolk Radio, will be held at Sheringham Little Theatre on 23 March 2017 to celebrate the Big Society community spirit that helps to make North Norfolk such a great place to live.
People are being asked to nominate a project or a person that has made a difference in their community by 27 January 2017.
Categories open to public nomination are:
- Big Society Community Project Award - for projects that are based in or benefit people in the district
- Big Society Voluntary Services Award for Sport - for someone who has made an outstanding contribution to sport in the district
- Big Society Voluntary Services Award for someone who has made an outstanding contribution for young people in the district
- Big Society Voluntary Services Award for someone who has made an outstanding contribution for older people in the district
- Big Society Voluntary Services Award for someone who has made an outstanding contribution to their neighbourhood
NNDC will also be inviting projects which were awarded a Big Society Fund between 2014 – 16 to make nominations in two other categories which are:
- Outstanding Contribution to a Big Society Funded Project - by an Adult
- Outstanding Contribution to a Big Society Funded Project - by a Young Person aged under 18
- (NNDC will be writing to the projects to ask for nominations directly)
North Norfolk District Council will also be presenting a Lifetime Achievement Award.
Cllr Tom FitzPatrick, Leader of North Norfolk District Council and Chairman of the Big Society Fund Panel, said: “The Big Society is all about supporting community projects and these awards are all about recognising the exceptional community spirit in our area.
“Everyone who contributes to their community and helps others deserves recognition and I hope people will come forward with their nominations and publically thank the people who help others.
“Since 2012 the Big Society Fund has funded over 163 community projects to date to the tune of £1,294,433 including: renovating play and recreational areas, creation of new community amenities, provision of sports hubs, and equipment and improvements to village halls.”
A Big Society Awards event was held for the first time in 2014; this will be the second awards ceremony. For the first time members of the public are being asked to make nominations, the project or person does not have to be connected to a Big Society Funded project.
Gary Mulligan, Station Manager at North Norfolk Radio said: “This is a real chance for the people in the community to give recognition to the individuals that go that extra mile by giving something back without asking for anything in return.”
To put forward your nomination please:
- Download the form from http://www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/community/18426.asp and email the completed nomination form back to Supporting.Communities@north-norfolk.gov.uk or post to Big Society Community Awards, NNDC, Holt Road, Cromer NR279EN
- Or call 01263 516248 for a hard copy of the form
- Or pick up nomination forms from North Norfolk District Council reception.
CLOSING DATE for receipt of nominations Friday 27th January 2017
Last updated: 24th January 2017