Our Cromer office is open for prearranged appointments or urgent enquiries.
Date published: 18th January 2017
Leaders at North Norfolk District Council have said a big thank you to the wide range of agencies, individuals, rescue services and volunteers who have contributed to the clean-up following the storm surge of January 13.
With several communities affected to different levels of severity along the coastline, the project has been wide ranging and involved many organisations.
Work is still ongoing and the latest news as of Wednesday is that Cromer promenade is fully open from east to west with public access along its entirety. Among various elements of today’s efforts, clean up works will continue and a rope access team has been working under the pier to conduct repairs.
There will be a need for repairs over the next few weeks at various locations along the coastline, including to missing handrails and access steps. Localised promenade closures will be in place when these works are undertaken.
Leader of North Norfolk District Council, Cllr Tom FitzPatrick, said: “The pre-surge work of warning, preparing and informing, which was carried out by a huge number of people, was an excellent example of careful advance planning and teamwork on the day.
“It demonstrated the best of public service, with many staff putting in long hours in difficult conditions to ensure the safety of residents in our coastal communities at a time of real challenge.
“Since then the work which has been carried out, again by a large cohort of organisations, has been impressive and should be a source of great pride to the district as a whole.
“I want to say a very heartfelt thank you to all those involved, your efforts have been enormous and there is a palpable sense of gratitude among those people I have spoken to on the ground.”
Last updated: 24th January 2017