The UK Government is changing how we vote. From May 2023, you will need to show photo ID when you vote at a polling station.
North Walsham COVID-19 Recovery Phase
Date published: 30th June 2020
A number of measures will be introduced in North Walsham town centre from Monday, July 6, as part of North Norfolk District Council’s Covid-19 recovery programme, supported by Norfolk County Council.
The temporary measures are designed to encourage residents and visitors to be able to shop safely in North Walsham, visiting stores and businesses now permitted by the Government to open while maintaining appropriate social distancing around the town centre.
The measures will be constantly reviewed as the national and local situation - and any further changes to regulations - regarding COVID-19 unfold in the weeks and months ahead.
Deputy Leader of North Norfolk District Council and Councillor for North Walsham East, Eric Seward, said: “These temporary measures are being taken to encourage shoppers to support the business community in North Walsham, by shopping safely and confidently whilst still being able to adopt the appropriate social distancing measures.
“We will of course be reviewing the measures we will be putting in place on an on-going and regular basis to ensure they are still required.
Key changes effective from Monday, July 6 will be:
Town centre – roads and car parking
- Market Place will be closed to through-traffic (access for the residents only) with a barrier in place at both ends. Residents affected have been contacted in relation to this. See map - section between red pin markers. This closure will be reviewed on a weekly basis.
- The adjacent roads - Church Street and Market street leading up to Kings Armes Street - will continue to be open to traffic as normal.
- The 30 minute free parking spaces and blue badge spaces will no longer be available on Market Place, however in the smaller section of Bank Loke car park (see map, pink shaded section), a maximum stay 1 hour free parking will be made available and are to include four blue badge spaces.
- The Bank Loke 1-hour free parking is not available in the larger section of Bank Loke. Clear signage will be placed for users.
- The existing 2-hour free parking (due to the recent Cadent Gas works) at Vicarage st and Bank Loke is to end on July 6.
- Deliveries to Market Place need to be kept to a minimum within the hours of 10am to 4pm. Outside of this time deliveries can take place freely. Businesses will be advised of these restrictions.
- Pavement decals and signage with social distancing-related messages will be applied this week.
- Sanders have confirmed their bus services will be using the registered Thursday Market day route during the COVID-19 Market Place closure in North Walsham as this is well-established and known by regular passengers.
- Service CH 2 will travel via Lyngate Road / Mundesley Road / Crow Road / Bacton Road / Bluebell Road / Marshgate / Pound Road / New Road in both directions.
- Service 6 towards Great Yarmouth will start from New Road bus stop opposite Fire Station, otherwise route is unaffected.
- Service 6 from Great Yarmouth route un-affected.
- Service 6A from Cromer will travel via Kings Arms Street to New Road bus stop.
- Service 6A towards Cromer route unaffected
- Service 18 in both directions route unaffected.
- Service 34 in both directions route unaffected.
- Service X55 towards Norwich will do as CH 2 above then normal timetabled route.
- Service X55 from Norwich will take normal route as far as Market Street in North Walsham and then use Kings Arms Street to get to the New Road bus stop opposite the Fire Station, because the X55 is run with double-deck vehicles there is no option but to use this route due to bridge height restrictions on other roads in to the town.
- School bus service 88 will run as per X55 in both directions as this is a double-deck bus operation.
- Service 210 towards Norwich will start at the Post Office, otherwise route is unaffected.
- Service 210 from Norwich will terminate at New Road bus stop opposite the Fire Station, otherwise route is unaffected.
Last updated: 30th June 2020