We're here to help, but to keep us all safe please only come to the office if necessary. Most of our services are available online but if you do need to see someone, please book an appointment to avoid long wait times.
Date published: 8th February 2021
It’s National Apprenticeship Week! Here at NNDC we have always sought to maximise the opportunities apprenticeships present, and encourage North Norfolk businesses to do the same.
From upskilling in an area they are already working in, to accessing a completely new one, apprenticeships are for people of all ages, at all points in their career.
Over the course of this week, we want to share what the benefits of apprenticeships are, clear up any misconceptions and highlight the benefits of apprenticeships, from entry level to management.
What are apprenticeships?
Apprenticeships are an alternative route to obtaining a qualification alongside gaining work experience in the field the apprentice is studying. Typically, an apprentice will spend 80% getting on the job experience and 20% studying. There are four different levels of apprenticeships: NVQ level, foundation degree (Diploma), Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree.
TRAIN – Future proof the workforce or individual careers through an apprenticeship
RETRAIN – Apprentices gain the skills and knowledge the organisation needs, allowing employers to upskill existing employees and build the workforce of the future
ACHIEVE – Realise the business benefits and career progression available and how apprenticeships can help transform the workforce
Apprenticeship myths busted!
Apprenticeships are just for trade
Traditional apprenticeships may have started out this way but nowadays the majority of apprenticeships being taken up are professional apprenticeships, designed in collaboration with professional bodies to obtain membership up to chartered status upon completion.
Apprentices aren’t ‘normal’ employees
Apprentices do need to spend 20% of their week doing some form of study, which may include a day at college but for the remaining 80% they are on the job, doing the job they are employed to do, this is to ensure a perfect mix of practical and theoretical knowledge is achieved.
Apprentices are all school leavers
Apprenticeships are a great alternative to college or university and provide school leavers the opportunity to earn while they learn but apprenticeships are available for all ages and many people chose to undertake an apprenticeship as a career change when fulltime education is not a practical option.
Apprenticeships are not real qualifications
Undertaking apprenticeship does not change the qualification being undertaken, just the method it is being delivered.
Only new members of staff can be apprentices
Bringing in a new apprentice into your team is a great way to grow and add value to your department but it is not the only way to make use of apprenticeships, existing staff can undertake an apprenticeship to upskill and develop their knowledge in their field in order to progress their career.
Tomorrow we will be exploring the type of apprenticeships on offer so stay tuned!
Last updated: 8th February 2021