This page provides helpful information and advice on the support available if your income changes because Covid-19 support measures are ending.

Page created 9 September 2021

During the Covid 19 pandemic, the Government provided additional measures to support people, but these are ending. Are you concerned that any of the following changes will affect you?

    • Self Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) ending in September
    • Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furloughing) ending in September
    • Minimum Income Floor (MIF) will be reinstated from August for self-employed customers on Universal Credit (UC)
    • £20 temporary increase to UC will be phased out in September and October
    • Benefit cap will be introduced for UC claims following a grace period
    • End of the eviction ban

If your income is decreasing or your circumstances are changing because of any of the above, and you are concerned about how you will manage whilst you re-budget, we may be able to help.

Helping you get the support you need

The following links provide local support to help you adjust to any income changes.

Get independent financial advice

You may wish to seek independent financial advice if you have problems paying your bills. Some organisations offer free independent advice. Always get free, independent advice before using a paid-for service.

Apply for housing benefit and council tax support

Are you struggling to pay your rent or council tax? Use our online calculator to check if you can claim housing benefit, housing costs through Universal Credit, and council tax support.

Apply for a discretionary housing payment

You might be able to claim this benefit if housing benefit and the housing element of Universal Credit does not cover your rent.

Get housing advice

Our Housing Options team can support you if you are homeless or likely to lose your home.

Are you already receiving housing benefit or council tax support?

Please tell us straight away about any change of circumstances that could affect your benefit?

Access the North Norfolk Help Hub

The North Norfolk Help Hub is a partnership of organisations that offer practical support, advice, and guidance.

Get debt advice

With more and more people feeling the effects of the economic downturn, we wanted to make sure that people in the district who want debt and money advice know exactly where to turn.

Are you struggling to pay your council tax?

Find information and advice on the options available to you if you can't pay your council tax. And what action we will take to recover unpaid council tax.

Manage your benefit claim and council tax account online

Our Bills and Benefits service gives you instant access to manage and view your benefits. You can also use it to manage your business rates and council tax account.

Are you struggling to pay a housing benefit overpayment?

By completing our online form, you can ask us to lower the weekly amount you pay or request a payment holiday. Please get in touch. We are here to help and will work with you to find a solution that works for you.

Need help accessing food?

Advice and information if you are experiencing financial difficulty and need help with buying essential supplies.

Norfolk Assistance Scheme

The Norfolk Assistance Scheme (NAS) helps people who cannot meet their immediate needs or need practical support to set up a home.

Get advice on other benefits you may be able to claim

Advice and guidance on other benefits you may be entitled to using online calculators and understand how government welfare reforms may affect you.

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I'm struggling to pay my rent?

If you do not receive Universal Credit, you should claim assistance with your Housing Costs. If you are receiving housing costs from Universal Credit or housing benefit, you may qualify for short-term rent assistance by claiming Discretionary Housing Payments.

What should I do if I receive an eviction notice from my landlord?

Contact our Housing Options Team immediately for advice and support.

What should I do if I'm struggling to pay my council tax?

Contact the council tax department immediately to find out how they can help you. You may be able to set up an arrangement to repay any arrears. If you do not receive council tax support, you should make a claim.

What should I do if I'm struggling to pay my household bills and food expenses?

Contact the North Norfolk Help Hub or the Citizens Advice for budgeting advice.

Who do I inform of changes following my furlough pay ending?

If you receive Universal Credit, then you should tell them immediately via your online journal. If you receive housing benefits or council tax support, then report your change online.

What should I do if I'm struggling to repay an overpayment of housing benefit?

If you are having trouble making payments, complete our online form.