Are you interested in making a difference to your community?

Find out how to become a Councillor for North Norfolk District Council, come along to the Prospective Candidates’ Evening on 20 September 2018.

Universal Credit is a new working age benefit being introduced across the UK

It will eventually replace the following:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit may help if you are on a low income or not working.

If you live in North Norfolk and your postcode starts with NR29 and from 13 June NR20 5 (you are not a parent of a family with 3 or more children or do not live in supported accommodation) you can claim Universal credit (full service).

Apply for Universal Credit

 You will need:

  • Your national insurance number
  • Details of the bank, building society you wish your Universal Credit to be paid into
  • Your tenancy agreement if you have one
  • Details of saving and capital
  • Details of income
  • An e-mail address
  • Child care costs if you wish to apply for help with these
  • Proof of identity

From April 2018 if you live in NR29 and occupy temporary accommodation, your housing costs will no longer be included in Universal Credit (full service) and you should claim Housing Benefit.

From 1st January 2018 (excluding NR29 in North Norfolk) new claims to Universal Credit (live service) will stop being taken by the Department of Work and Pensions.  This means that you will need to claim the Benefits listed above directly from either the Council, Department of Work and Pensions or Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.

For further information visit the Universal Credit page on the website or telephone:

Free Universal Credit live service helpline 0800 238 9344

Free Universal Credit full service helpline 0800 328 5644

If you are already in receipt of Universal Credit (live service) you will remain on this providing other circumstances relating to your claim do not change.

If you are receiving Universal Credit and are liable to pay Council Tax for your accommodation, then you can apply for help towards your Council Tax by claiming Council Tax support.

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support