Sign up or pay for a brown garden bin collection

Our waste collection service is a cost effective way of disposing your household garden waste.

You can telephone or write to us in the Benefits Department to inform us of a change.

If you inform us by telephone in some cases you may be asked to confirm the details in writing, this can simply be a letter explaining the nature of the change and the date it occurred.

Informing other government agencies - such as the Department for Work and Pensions, Job Centre Plus or HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) - does NOT mean that we will be notified about the changes. You must also inform us directly.

You will need to supply evidence to support the change - if you are unclear on what evidence might be required please contact us for advice. If you have no supporting evidence do not delay in telling us about the change. You can provide proof at a later date.

Please be aware that only original documents can be accepted. These can either be delivered by hand (where they will be verified and returned while you wait) or sent in the post.

If your circumstances have changed and you need to let us know so we can calculate the right amount of benefits for you to receive, please download the form below to report your change of circumstances.

Notify a change of circumstance

Housing Association use only – Report a tenancy change

What changes should I tell you about?

Below are some examples of the types of changes you should tell us about:

  • If any other benefits that you receive change or stop, such as:
    • Job Seekers Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Employment Support Allowance
    • Pension Credits
    • Child Benefit
    • Child / Working Tax Credits
  • Wage increase/decrease
  • Pension increase/decrease
  • Capital increase/decrease
  • If your capital exceeds £16,000
  • A change to the number of people living with you
  • A change in the income of someone who lives with you
  • Absence from home
  • Your rent increases/decreases
  • You move from your current address

The information above does not cover all of the changes you should inform us about. If you are unsure whether or not we need to know about a particular change in your circumstances tell us anyway.

What if a change is causing me hardship?

Social Security Law governs the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you are entitled to.

However, the Council is sometimes able to provide addition help for anyone who is not entitled to receive full benefit.

If you think that your circumstances are causing you hardship please see our Discretionary Housing Payments page.