The Annual Canvass commences in July 2018. Find out what to do when you receive your Household Enquiry Form (HEF)

What we’re doing

From July 2018, we will send a letter, known as a “Household Enquiry Form” (HEF), to every household in the district. The letter will be addressed to “the Occupier” and will contain the names of all those in the household who are registered to vote. If no one is currently registered, the form will be blank.

What you need to do

We will ask you to confirm that the details of those living at that address and registered to vote are correct. Anyone in the household can respond to the letter.

Please don't ignore the letter, if you fail to respond you could lose your right to vote.

How to respond

How to respond

If the details on the form are correct you must confirm this to us by either:

  • Visiting
  • Texting NOCHANGE followed by your security codes to 80212 (texts will be charged at your network provider’s standard rate)
  • Calling 0800 197 9871 (calls are free from a landline. Standard rates will apply from a mobile)
  • If you are unable to use any of the automated options above, you should complete and return your form in the envelope provided. Do not return the form if you have already confirmed using one of the automated options.

 If the details on the form are incorrect or incomplete you need to make us aware by:

  •  Visiting with the security codes found on your form, where you can remove or add residents (including anyone aged 16 years or older)
  • If you are unable to use this automated option, please complete this form by crossing out the names of any non-residents, making amendments to any names which have changed (e.g. through marriage), and adding the names of any new residents in the spaces provided.

What happens next?

If you confirm that there are no changes, we won't write to you again as part of the 2018 canvass.

If you tell us there are new people eligible to be registered, we will send each person an "invitation to register". This form invites that person to apply to register to vote. If they prefer they can register online at Register to vote.  

If you tell us someone has moved away, we may need to write again to confirm that they have moved away. This is because we’re required to have two pieces of evidence to remove someone from the electoral register.


By law, we are required to send a reminder where we don't get a reply from a household. Help us to save money by replying promptly to the first letter.

Personal visit

If you don't reply after these reminders, we are legally required to send one of our canvassing staff to your property to ask for information.

What the law says

The law says that you must provide us information as part of the annual canvass. Failure to respond could result in you being unable to vote at future elections and being fined.