Pay your council tax online

Set up a Direct Debit

Find out how to get help if you or someone you know is a victim of domestic abuse.

Domestic abuse is a crime. Call the police on 999 if:

  • your personal safety is threatened
  • you are at risk of assault or injury
  • in an emergency

Where to find help

You can contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 if you're a woman experiencing domestic abuse. You can talk confidentially to someone about your situation and to find out what your options are.

If you are a man experiencing domestic abuse you can contact the Men's Advice Line on 0808 801 0327.

If you are in a same-sex relationship you can call the National LGBT Domestic Violence helpline on 0800 999 5428.

Call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 if you feel in despair and want someone to listen to you and provide emotional support.

There is guidance available from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for people who are victims of domestic violence and abuse victims.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is not just physical violence, it is any type of abuse from someone you have (or have had) a relationship with, including emotional, sexual or mental abuse.

Signs of abusive behaviour can include:

  • acting in a controlling, coercive or threatening manner
  • taking your money
  • stopping you seeing your friends and family
  • threatening your children or pets

Domestic abuse can affect anyone.

The Home Office's guidance on domestic abuse offers advice and guidance if you or somebody know is suffering from domestic abuse.

Help with housing due to domestic abuse

If you think you need to leave your home, try to arrange temporary housing from the council before you leave. Not everyone leaving home due to violence is entitled to emergency accommodation. Call us on 01263 516375.

You could stay with friends or relatives while you think about what to do next.

If you're a woman leaving domestic abuse, try to find a place in a women's refuge. Leeway provide support to adults and young people looking to break free from domestic abuse.

Take some essentials with you such as:

  • change of clothes
  • toiletries
  • any medication you need to take regularly.
  • important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Don't make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have spoken to an adviser and considered all your options.

Our Housing Options team can help you. We can support and advise you to find a refuge, support you in finding alternative accommodation.

We can advise you on tenancy issues including occupation orders, joint tenancies and homelessness - and can put you in touch with other organisations that provide support and legal advice. Contact the team on 01263 516375