You don't have to be sleeping on the streets or not have a roof over your head to be considered homeless. Find out how we can help.

Are you homeless?

There are many situations where the council must accept you are homeless and may have a legal duty to help you with housing. For example:

  • You're at risk of violence or abuse where you are living. This can be from a partner, ex-partner or family member, or someone in your area. The council may ask you to provide details of the incidents. Evidence is helpful but the council will not turn you away if you haven’t reported it to the police.
  • You don't have a roof over your head i.e. you are street homeless.
  • You're at risk of losing your home.
  • You can't afford to stay where you are.
  • Your accommodation is very temporary.
  • You are staying with friends or sofa surfing.
  • You've been locked out or illegally evicted.
  • Your accommodation is in very poor condition; this would need to be evidenced and supported by the Environmental Health Team at NNDC.
  • You can't live together with your partner or close family.
  • You have nowhere to put your houseboat or caravan.

If one or more of these apply, you may be eligible for help from the council.

How can the council help

North Norfolk Housing Options Team can support you if you are homeless, or if you are likely to lose your home soon. If you meet the criteria, you can make a homeless application. This means that you are telling the council you are homeless or at risk of homelessness and need assistance. By law, you must be allowed to make this application on the day you contact the council.

We can help you in the following ways:

  • We can assess your current housing situation and work out what your needs are.
  • If you are worried that you might become homeless, we can give you advice on the next steps.
  • We can help you make a housing plan so you can work towards the next steps to find a permanent home.
  • If staying in your current home isn't an option, the authority will assess if it has duties to provide you with temporary accommodation whilst they continue to work with you.
  • if you have issues because of new benefit changes such as Universal Credit, the Bedroom Tax, Benefit Cap or Local Housing allowance
  • with budgeting and managing your money at home
  • with employment problems and job seeking
  • with getting a smaller, more financially manageable home
  • with rent arrears to stop you being evicted by your landlord

Information the council will ask you to provide

  • identity documents (passport or ID card)
  • notice of eviction or letter from the person you've been staying with.
  • proof of income and expenditure

If the council says it cannot help you

You can challenge the council’s decision. If you think the council's decision is wrong, contact an independent local advice centre like Citizens Advice Bureau as soon as you can.

What other support is available?

If you are not eligible for housing from the council, you may still be able to access:

  • Help from social services when homeless: if you have children or additional needs you may be able to get support from Children’s or Adult Social Care.
  • Short-term emergency housing.
  • Support in finding private rented accommodation.

You can also get further advice from:

  • Shelter - the housing and homelessness charity.
  • Citizens Advice - provides free, confidential and independent advice to help people overcome their problems.
  • Crisis - a national charity for homeless people.
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline - contact the Freephone 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.