Do you need Planning Permission?
If you want to build an extension, erect a conservatory or garage or do other work to your home, or if you want to expand your business or change the use of your premises, you may need to apply for planning permission.
For example, If you wish to install a domestic wind turbine on your property, in most cases, you will require planning permission. If your property is a listed building, and the generator will be fixed to the building, a separate application for Listed Building consent will also be required.
See the Planning Portal 'do you need permission' pages for information on both planning and building regulations for a range of common householder projects. However, there may be local circumstances which also need to be taken into account and you are advised to check with the Pre-application Advice Service . The Planning Portal also has information on other permissions that may be required.
Once you have actually applied for planning permission and it is granted, you then have to consider how the building or extension is constructed and whether it complies with Building Regulations. You may then need to submit detailed plans to the Building Control Service for approval.
Related Council Information
- North Norfolk Core Strategy Document. Development Management Policies are in Chapter 3
- The Decision Process - see 'How we deal with Planning Applications and Amendments' to find out.
Planning Portal Information
- Building Regulations information & downloadable documents
- How to apply for planning permission
- Greener Homes & Micro-generation
- Planning Portal FAQs
- Useful Tools - Plan & Map Creator to create and purchase a site location plan, Carbon Calculator, Fee Calculator, & Volume Calculator.
Planning Portal Guidance for specific projects
The Interactive House - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/house
The Interactive Terrace House - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/terrace
Conservatories - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/conservatory
Extensions - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/extension
Garage Conversions - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/garageconversion
Loft Conversion - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/loftconversion
Outbuildings - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/outbuilding
Patio and Driveways - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/patioanddrive
Porches - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/porch
Satellite, TV and Radio Antenna - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/antenna
Wind Turbines - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/windturbine
Windows - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/windows
- The Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) has a page of publications including 'Design and access statements: how to write, read and use them' (PDF)
- Information on available grants can be obtained from the Energy Savings Trust
Communities and Local Government
- Code for Sustainable Homes: Technical guide (2.54MB) - October 2008
- A Farmer's Guide to the Planning System
- Outdoor Advertisements and Signs - A Guide for Advertisers
- Planning for Biodiversity and Geological Conservation - A guide to good Practice
- Sustainable Construction - Good Practice Guidance
- Good Practice Guide on Planning for Tourism
Enforcement Enquiries: 01263 516247 / 516228