Am I overcrowded?
There is no longer a standard in law for the number of people who may live, or sleep, in a dwelling or individual room. Overcrowding is one of the hazards assessed using the HHSRS. The Council will also take into account any other hazards that exist in the dwelling and whether, or not, those hazards are made worse by the number of people living in the dwelling. For example, if you only have one bathroom, or a small kitchen, hazards may arise if too many people are sharing those facilities.

What fire precautions do I need?
There are standards that the North Norfolk District Council has adopted for dwellings within its area. Provided these standards are met, the fire precautions and means of escape will be of an acceptable standard for occupation. However, in complicated situations, an inspection by a Council Officer may be required to ensure the appropriate levels of provision are made. Click here to download our Guidance Document: Fire Precautions in Dwellings

How often should my gas supply be checked?
If your rented property has a gas supply, your landlord is required by law to ensure that a safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue every year. Within 28 days of the check being carried out your landlord must give you a copy of the safety inspection. Any new tenant must also receive a copy of the current certificate. Your landlord must keep records of every safety check for two years.

Landlords are not obliged to check any appliance which is owned by you, or any flues/chimneys which are only connected to an appliance owned by you.

If you are concerned that your landlord is not complying with the law, ring the Health and Safety Executive’s Gas Safety Line on 0800 300363 or visit their website

Is my furniture a fire hazard?
All upholstered furniture which is supplied in rented property to a new tenant must comply with fire safety standards. For further information contact Trading Standards by email at or visit their website at

Is my property a House in Multiple Occupation?
A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a residential property that meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • a building (or flat) occupied by two or more households comprising three or more people that share basic amenities (i.e. bathroom, kitchen etc.)
  • a converted building with one or more units of non self contained accommodation
  • a conversion of self-contained flats not meeting the 1991 Building Regulation standards and more than a third tenanted