The Gambling Act contains a single class of licence for betting premises. However, within this single class of licence, there are different types of premises which require licensing. Off-course betting, that is, betting that takes place other than at a track in what was previously known as a licensed betting office requires an operating licence from the Gambling Commission as well as a licence from the Licensing Authority. Please note that there are also betting offices on tracks, that have a separate premises licence from the track licence.

The Act also permits betting intermediaries to operate from premises, although betting intermediaries usually offer their services via remote communication, such as the internet. In principle, however, there is nothing to stop a betting intermediary applying for a betting premises licence to offer intermediary services upon the premises.

Under the Gambling Act, licensing authorities are responsible for issuing and monitoring premises licences for all betting premises.