Norfolk County Council Trading Standards are highlighting the latest consumer scams in Norfolk.
The Mobile Homes Act 2013 amends the law in relation to residential sites. Residential caravan sites are more often now known as Mobile Homes or Park Homes sites.
The Mobile Homes Fees Policy was approved by Full Council on 23 September 2015 and is effective from 1 October 2015.
The key measures which come into force on 1 April 2014 are as follows:
- Current licences will remain in force but new enforcement powers will apply
- A local authority will be able to refuse to grant a licence or approve a transfer of one when a site changes hands. In making a decision on this point an authority will have regard to matters prescribed in regulations.
- Local authorities will be able to charge a fee for considering applications for the grant or transfer of a licence. They will also be able to charge an annual fee for monitoring and administration of existing site licences.
- Where a site owner is in breach of a condition of a site licence the local authority will be able to serve a compliance notice, which sets out the steps required in order for the breach to be remedied. The authority will also have works in default powers.
- Authorities will be able to recover costs of taking enforcement action including works in default. There will also be powers for an authority to force a sale, to recover costs and charges if the site owner fails to pay them when required to do so.
- Failure to take the action required under a compliance notice will be a criminal offence and on conviction a site owner will face a fine which will not be limited by law. Fines for operating a site without a licence will not be limited by law. Directors of companies will also be personally liable for offences related to site licences committed by their companies.
Owners of residential sites intending to sell them in the near future, or prospective purchasers of such sites, are advised to contact the Council to discuss the implications for them well in advance of any site sale.
Last updated: 31st October 2017