Register by 11:59pm on 26 November to vote in the General Election on 12 December
Development to meet the needs of Gypsies and Travellers and of Travelling Showpeople will be permitted provided it is of an appropriate scale and nature and the following criteria are met:
- the intended occupants meet the definition of Gypsies and Travellers (vii), or the description of travelling showpeople (viii); and
- development minimises impact on the surrounding landscape; and
- safe vehicular access to the public highway can be provided; and
- the movement of vehicles to and from the site will not cause significant disturbance; and
- there is adequate space for parking, turning and servicing on site; and
- the site is on the outskirts of, or within a reasonable distance of, a settlement which offers local services and community facilities; and
- suitable landscaping and boundary enclosures are provided to give privacy, minimise impact on the surrounding area and provide a safe and acceptable living environment.
(vii) Circular 01/2006 defines Gypsies and Travellers as ‘Persons of nomadic habit of life whatever their race or origin, including such persons who on grounds only of their own or their family’s or dependents’ educational or health needs or old age have ceased to travel temporarily or permanently, but excluding members of an organised group of travelling showpeople or circus people travelling together as such’.
(viii) Consultation on revised planning guidance for Travelling Showpeople, DCLG Jan 2007 defines travelling showpeople as 'Members of an organised group of travelling showpeople or circus people (whether or not travelling together as such). They include such persons who on the grounds of their own or their family’s or dependants’ more localised pattern of trading, educational or health needs or old age have ceased to travel temporarily or permanently, but excluding Gypsies and Travellers'.
Last updated: 14th May 2019