Pay your council tax online
Set up a Direct Debit
North Walsham is designated as a Principal Settlement with a Large Town Centre. The following developments are proposed:
- Between 2001 and 2021 a total of between 900 and 1,100 dwellings will be built. This will include 400 to 550 dwellings on newly identified development sites well related to the built up area.
- Development will not be permitted unless it has been demonstrated that there is adequate capacity in sewage treatment works (upgrades programmed for post-2016) and electricity provision.
- Approximately 65 hectares of employment land will be retained, reducing the existing provision by approximately 15 hectares, recognising the railway bridges create access difficulties for HGVs into the town from the Norwich direction.
- Suitable sites for development of new retail floor-space will be allocated in the Site Specific Proposals Development Plan Document in locations in, or close to the town centre, of sufficient size to accommodate approximately 4,000sqm of comparison goods floorspace.
- A suitable site will be identified in the Site Specific Proposal document for the relocation of Paston College.
- A Public Realm designation is defined to co-ordinate the use of areas where pedestrian access, informal recreation and appearance are crucial to the town’s attractiveness to residents and visitors.
- All major new development in North Walsham will address surface water run off and ensure no adverse impact on the Broads Special Area of Conservation (SAC).
- The Site Specific Proposals Document will identify a suitable site for a new primary school.
Last updated: 14th May 2019