Local Election Results 2023
Results from the 2023 local elections are now available
Access for All at New Sheringham Leisure Centre
The public consultation on the new Sheringham facility raised a number of comments about access to the building and in particular the pool. As the design has progressed more detail is now available on the features that will make this pool accessible for all.
The intention is for all users and staff alike to be able to use this facility irrespective of their age or ability. The proposed building will be fully DDA compliant and incorporates the features listed below.
- 11 Dedicated accessible car parking spaces close to the building entrance
- Level access into the building through the main reception
- Automatic entry doors within the lobby area
- Clear circulation widths suitable for wheelchair users to key activity spaces
- Accessible toilets and accessible changing facilities on both floors.
- Dedicated ‘Changing Place’s’ room on the ground floor within the village change
- Two lifts
- Stairs designed for ambulant disabled, with wheelchair refuges to be included at the head of the fire escape stair.
- Visual contrast will be allowed for in terms of wall / floor finishes and leading edges of doors and ironmongery
- Special attention will also be made to floor finish specification, proposed colours and tactile surfaces
Specifically within the pool environment:
- A ‘Pool pod’ which allows for a safe and dignified entry into the water. Watch the video of it in use at another pool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVRXsFT2xHk
- A ‘pool side’ wheelchair for disabled users to transfer to (compatible with the pool pod).
- There will be a dedicated ‘wheelchair storage zone’ in the village change (where users can exchange their chair for the poolside chair)
- The pool pod is mobile and can move to either pool although it will be typically located on the main pool.
- Easy going’ steps usually with a hand rail in to the shallow end of the pool of the pool
- Use of the pool pod as a lift
- The learner pool will have a moving floor
- Disabled and ambulant disabled users (depending on the severity of their disability) can change in the Change Places room, or 1 of 3 disabled WC /Showers or in the ‘Family cubicles’ which are sized to allow a wheelchair to turn.