How to make a complaint about food, food hygiene or food poisoning.

Complaints about Food

Our Commercial team based at North Norfolk District Council, or Trading Standards at Norfolk County Council, investigate food complaints when the food has been bought in north Norfolk.

  • If the food is mislabelled or if the complaint is about the quality of the food then Trading Standards will handle the complaint.
  • If food is a health risk (for example, undercooked), unfit, mouldy, has a foreign object in it (e.g. glass) or has been sold after the use-by date then we will deal with the complaint.

If you want to make a complaint about food, please email or call 01263 516008.

If you have the food at home, seal it in a plastic bag and place in your freezer.

Our information sheet details how we investigate food complaints.

Complain about Food Hygiene and/or Food Poisoning

The Commercial team investigates complaints about hygiene standards of businesses in north Norfolk.

If you want to make a complaint about a food business or think you may have been made ill by something you have eaten, please contact us at or call 01263 516008. 

You must also contact your doctor if you are concerned about your illness. Many illnesses have similar symptoms. The only way of proving that an illness is actually food poisoning is by submitting a faecal (stool) sample for analysis.