Details on the application process and how to apply for planning permission

Planning Constraints

To help you gauge the likelihood of gaining planning permission or consent for development within North Norfolk we have developed an interactive online mapping tool which allows you to see constraints and designations that may affect your site and as a result, your proposal.  Before submitting your application please use this tool to identify your site and the relevant constraints that may affect your application. This will also inform the information you need to submit with any application to ensure that it is valid. Please also refer to our Local Validation Checklist.

Please note that the mapping tool is for advice and guidance only and not to be taken as formal advice. We encourage you to use our pre-application service which can improve your chances of having your application approved.

View mapping tool

Making a planning application

You can submit your application online through the Planning Portal website where you can create a site location plan, add attachments, calculate the fee and pay online (where required).

When making a planning application, it is important to:

Start your application

Apply by post

Please help the council to process your application as quickly as possible, and to keep costs down, by submitting your application online.

This ensures that the information we need to deal with your application is all captured at the start of the process and reduces the possibility of the application being delayed because of some of that information being missing or incomplete.

If you are unable to submit your application online you can download the application forms and send them to:

Planning Service
North Norfolk District Council
Holt Road
NR27 9EN

Failure to include all of the appropriate supporting documentation and the correct application fee may result in a delay in the processing of your application.


Certificates of Ownership

These are needed for applications where development is being proposed on land owned by another third party and where legislation requires a notice to be served.