Businesses across the district are being encouraged to put themselves forward to win one of the prestigious titles
If an individual or business thinks the Council has acted negligently and is responsible for an accident or financial loss they can make a claim against the Council
Advice before making a claim
Before entering a claim for compensation against the Council, it is important to be aware of the following points:
- North Norfolk District Council is not a Highways Authority and is not responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of public highways (roads and pavements) in the district of North Norfolk. Norfolk County Council is the responsible Highways Authority and claims involving public highways should be directed to that Authority.
- All claims are assessed on the basis of whether the council has been legally at fault for the incident. Unfortunate incidents often occur which are not due to negligence on either part. Lodging a claim does not automatically result in the payment of compensation and in many cases it does not.
Basic information required for any claim
Information in the letter of claim should contain enough information to begin investigations. The following should be included:
- Claimant full name and address
- Date of birth
- Telephone or contact numbers
- National Insurance number
- Details of the incident, including date, time and location
- Details of any injuries or damage sustained
- Details of how or why the claimant feels the Council has acted negligently
Making a Claim
Claims, which must be made in writing, may be made by the claimant in person or by a legal representative acting on their behalf. If you decide to make a claim please read all of the information provided below..
Claims should be directed to the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following address:
North Norfolk District Council
Should you have any queries about the process of the making of a claim please call 01263 516246.
All claims will be referred to the Council’s insurers who will act on behalf of the Council and whose details are provided below:
Zurich Municipal Insurance
Birmingham Commercial Direct
PO Box 3313
The Council is insured for Public Liability under policy number QLA-09H072-0013
National Fraud Initiative
We are required under Section 2A of the Audit Commission Act 1998 to participate in the National Fraud Initiative data matching exercise. The data held by North Norfolk District Council will be used for cross system and cross authority comparison for the prevention and detection of fraud.
The information you provide to North Norfolk District Council will be used to enable the council to progress your claim. We may share your information with our insurer, legal representatives, contractors, or outside bodies who may be involved in the defence of the claim. You have a right to ask for a copy of the information about you, held by us, in our records. You must make this request in writing to our Data Protection Officer.
Public Liability insurance is designed to provide cover to the Policy holder (company, business or individual) in the event that a legal liability to pay compensation to a third party arises.
Only North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) and its employees are covered through NNDC’s insurance policies. These do not extend cover to Contractors, companies, businesses or individuals dealing with NNDC.