The government has consulted on proposals to reform the planning system in England to streamline and modernise the planning process
This consultation is now closed. We will update this page as soon as more information is available.
This page was created to assist those wishing to respond to the consultation Planning for the future. It also highlights the position which the Council is taking on the proposals which, if introduced, will shape the future for our communities.
North Norfolk District Council has responded to the consultation expressing our concerns that whilst there is scope to review and improve the current planning system, many of the proposals are considered unacceptable. A summary of the proposals and our full response is available to view below.
The consultation was considered at a meeting of Full Council, in a Council Motion which provided the basis for our detailed response. Councillors, Town and Parish Councils, and District Council Officers have held a series of workshops to discuss the proposals, which also informed our response.
While this page is primarily concerned with the planning for the future proposals, a separate consultation on Changes to the current planning system has also been subject to our consideration and detailed response.
The Council is particularly concerned that, if introduced, the proposals will:
- risk poorer quality developments,
- reduce the opportunities for community engagement and local decision making,
- fail to address issues such as the provision of affordable homes and second home ownership,
- mean that many development proposals may no longer require planning permission in the way they do now.
The proposals bring about the potential for significant changes in legislation. The implications of this require ongoing consideration in order to understand and plan how we may fund, operate and provide our planning services in the future.
We will keep you updated via this web page as those processes move forward.
Planning for the Future consultation
- NNDC summary of consultation document
- Copy of Full Council Motion
- RTPI Planning White Paper on a single page
- NNDC consultation response
Changes to the Current Planning System consultation
- Full Council Meeting (YouTube, NNDC eDemocracy channel, motion heard at 1 hour 49 mins)
- Parish and Town Council Workshop
- Member Workshop
- The consultation details - Planning for the future
- CPRE criticise ‘pitiful’ aims and call for robust legal guarantees
- TCPA Community guide for responding to the White Paper