We are contacting potentially eligible businesses this weekend (4th and 5th April) by text message and email to make them aware of how the grant scheme will operate.
The new leisure centre will be fully accessible for everyone and will feature:
- Eleven dedicated accessible car parking spaces close to the building entrance
- Level access into the building through the main reception
- Automatic entry doors within the lobby area
- Clear circulation widths suitable for wheelchair users to key activity spaces
- Accessible toilets and accessible changing facilities on both floors
- Dedicated Changing Places room on the ground floor within the pool changing area
- Two lifts
- Stairs designed for ambulant disabled, with wheelchair refuges to be included at the head of the fire escape stair
- Wall, floor finishes, door edges and handles will have appropriate contrasting colours and tactile surfaces
The pool area will include:
- A ‘pool pod’ which allows for a safe and dignified entry into the water. Watch a video of it in use at another pool
- A pool side wheelchair for disabled users to transfer to (compatible with the pool pod).
- There will be a dedicated wheelchair storage zone in the village change (where users can exchange their chair for the poolside chair)
- The pool pod is mobile and can move to either pool although it will be typically located on the main pool.
- Shallow steps with a hand rail in to the shallow end of the pool
- Use of the pool pod as a lift
- The learner pool will have a moving floor
- Disabled and ambulant disabled users (depending on the severity of their disability) can change in the Changing Places room, or 1 of 3 disabled WC / Showers or in the ‘family cubicles’ which are sized to allow a wheelchair to turn.