Council Tree Planting Scheme: 110,000 trees in 4 Years
In 2019 North Norfolk District Council declared a Climate Emergency to tackle the devastating impact that increasing global greenhouse gas emissions are causing through climate change.
As part of our response, we pledged to plant 110,000 trees - one for every resident in North Norfolk – by April 2023.
The project launched at the annual Greenbuild environmental sustainability event in September 2019 is open to everyone in North Norfolk, community groups, schools, landowners and individuals who wish to plant trees of their own.
We hold volunteer days during the tree planting season, where anyone is welcome to plant their tree and help play a part in building a better, greener future for North Norfolk.
Why plant trees?
There are many benefits to planting trees, some of which might not be so obvious.
Reduce the impact of climate change
- Absorb large amounts of carbon, taking it out of the atmosphere and locking it away.
- Conserve water by trapping rainfall and improving ground water supply.
- Reduce risk of flooding by reducing the amount of water getting into rivers.
Improve our health and wellbeing
- Helping those with respiratory problems such as asthma by removing pollutants from the air.
- Provide shade to protect us from harmful solar radiation, and also keep us cool.
- Helps reduce blood pressure, lowers heart rates and reduces stress.
- Planting trees is great exercise and a great social activity.
Enrich the natural world
- Provide vital food and shelter for thousands of different species.
- Prevent soil erosion, improving soil quality for farming and biodiversity.
We need your help
We're looking for volunteers
You can support the project in different ways, whether you have land that might be suitable for planting or interested in helping to plant trees.
Register today to get involved with our tree planting scheme.
Planting and caring for your tree
Your tree needs to thrive, so choosing the right planting site and knowing which species will grow in your selected location is crucial. Help is at hand with our tree planting guidance.