If you need advice and support, there are several ways we can help, and getting help as soon as possible can prevent things from getting worse.

We frequently update these pages with information you need to know and which you may find helpful.

The following pages will give you information on money advice, such as pensions, budgeting and dealing with debt. They contain advice and support on the cost of living, including benefits, housing, utility bills, and help and support in accessing food.

Get help with the cost of living

Budgeting Loans

Help with paying costs through a Budgeting Loan. It is interest-free, so you only pay back what you borrow.

Household Support Fund

This fund is to support people struggling to afford food, fuel, energy and water bills.

Struggling to pay your Council Tax?

If you can't pay your council tax, information and advice on the options available to you. 

Struggling to pay your household bills?

Contact the North Norfolk Help Hub for advice and support.

Cost of living boost for students

Students in need are to benefit from additional financial support designed to ease cost of living pressures and help them to meet everyday costs.

Get advice on benefits you may be able to claim

Use this free benefits calculator. To find out what you might be able to claim.

NHS prepayment prescription

You can save money if you need more than three items in 3 months or eleven items in 12 months.

Big brand deals and discounts

Government and leading businesses join forces to help households with cost of living.

Cheaper broadband and phone

Social tariffs can provide a safety net for customers who might be struggling to afford their broadband or phone services.

Help with childcare costs

Childcare choices

Government help with childcare costs for parents. Whether you have toddlers or teens, you could get support.

Tax-free childcare

Save money on your childcare bills with Tax-Free Childcare. If you're a working parent or carer or your child has a disability, check if you are eligible.

Help and support accessing food

Food banks

If you need emergency food, the Trussell Trust have a network of food banks that provides emergency food and support to people in crisis.

Community Fridges

A Community Fridge is a space where surplus food is shared for free. Hubbub coordinates over 300 Community Fridges across the UK.

Food Vouchers

You can access emergency food through a food bank with a food voucher. Learn more about food vouchers and the referral system.

Get help to buy food and milk

If you’re more than ten weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may get help buying healthy food and milk.

Free school meals

Check if your child can get free school meals and find out how to apply on your local authority’s website.

Just One Norfolk

With tips on eating well as a family. It covers eating on a budget, accessing food banks, community fridges and food during school holidays.

Too Good to Go

Is a mobile app connecting customers to restaurants and stores with unsold food, which they sell at reduced rates.


OLIO connects neighbours with each other and with local businesses so surplus food can be shared, not thrown away.

Help and support with energy bills

Cold Weather Payment

Cold Weather Payment is extra money for people receiving certain benefits, such as Pension Credit, when there's very cold weather. Visit Age UK.

Grants and funds to help pay your energy bills

You can get help if you're struggling to afford your energy bills or top up your prepayment meter. Visit Citizens Advice. 

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £140 off your electricity bill for winter 2021 to 2022 under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. Visit GOV.UK.

Energy bills rebate

If you pay council tax, you can get money back from the council to help pay your energy bills.

Gas and electricity arrears

Need help paying or managing your gas or electricity bills? Get free expert advice on what to do from StepChange, the leading UK debt charity.

Energy Bills Support Scheme

Find out about the government's Energy Bills Support Scheme and how you can get support.

Simple Energy Advice

Includes advice on reducing energy bills, making your home warmer, planning home improvements, and making your home greener.

Warm Home grants

Grants to help insulate and heat your home are available for low income residents to help reduce energy bills and increase the thermal comfort of their homes.

Fuel Direct

Fuel Direct is a government scheme that allows customers to pay for their energy bills directly from their benefits.

Household Support Fund

North Norfolk District Council has launched this fund to support eligible households most in need this winter with food, energy, water, and other essential living needs.

Energy Bills Discount Scheme

Find out about the Energy Bills Discount Scheme (EBDS) for non-domestic customers.

Help and support with water bills

Extra Care Support

Are you worried about your water bill? Anglian Water has an Extra Care Support service who are specially trained to handle sensitive issues.

Water bill tariffs and charges

The different tariffs available to you if your home's on a meter and you're struggling to pay your water bill. 

Help and support with housing

Housing Options

Our Housing team offer support and advice on homelessness, mortgage and rent arrears, joining the housing register and illegal evictions.

Struggling to pay your rent or
council tax?

Check if you can claim housing benefit, housing costs through Universal Credit, and council tax support.

Discretionary Housing payment

You might be able to claim this benefit if your current housing benefits do not cover your rent.

Received an eviction notice
from your landlord?

Get in touch with our Housing Options Team immediately for advice and support.


Shelter, a national charity, offers help and advice on a range of housing and housing cost problems.

Family Fund

Family Fund, a UK charity, can assist families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people struggling to pay their rent. 

Moving home

If you move from one rented property to another, you may be able to claim overlapping housing benefit.

Norfolk Assistance Scheme

The Norfolk Assistance Scheme (NAS) helps people who are in financial hardship and cannot pay their living costs. 

Complaining about a landlord

If poor conditions in your rented property affect your health or safety, find out how to resolve these issues with your landlord.

Managing your money

Pension Wise

Pension Wise is a free and impartial government service that helps you understand the options for your pension pot.

Money Support Service

The Money Support Service at Norfolk County Council provides support if you need help with budgeting.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Their team of debt advisers and administrators, provide debt and money advice and support across Norfolk. 

Money Helper

Set up by the government, it helps people manage their money through independent free, and impartial advice. 

Manage your bills and benefits

Our service gives you instant access to manage and view your benefits, council tax and business rates online.

Get independent financial advice

You can get independent financial advice if you have problems paying your bills. Some organisations offer free advice. 

Help with debt


A national charity that provides free debt advice and debt management plans (DMP).

National Debtline

Offers free, confidential and independent advice to help people deal with their debt problems.

Debt Advice Foundation

A registered national debt advice offering free, confidential support and advice to anyone worried about loans, credit and debt.

Carers Matter Norfolk

Carers often have extra financial pressure. They are forced to reduce hours or give up work and face additional costs for disability and ill health.


PayPlan offers free debt help and advice, including self-employed debt help with solutions, including free Debt Management Plans. 

Benefit overpayments

Help and advice on paying back benefit overpayments, when they have to be made and repayments when someone has died.

Tax credits overpayments

Help with paying back tax credit overpayments and what to do if you can't afford your repayments.

Benefit debt deductions

Guidance for employers on deducting any money an employee owes the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) from their pay.

Struggling to pay a housing benefit overpayment

By completing our online form, you can ask us to lower the weekly amount you pay or request a payment holiday. 

Loan sharks and illegal lending

Loan shark debt

In debt with a loan shark or thinking about borrowing from one? Get free expert advice on what to do next from StepChange, the leading UK debt charity.

Loan sharks

Get information from Citizens Advice about illegal lending, how to check if a lender is licensed correctly and what to do if you owe money to a loan shark.

Report a loan shark

Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders who often charge very high-interest rates. You can check if a company is authorised to lend money and report loan sharks anonymously.

Scams and fraud

Get help with online scams

You can speak to scam advisers at Citizens Advice, and they will let you know what to do next and give you support on the issues you might be facing. 

Support for scam victims

If you have fallen victim to a scam, it can be devastating. Age UK provides details on what you can do if you are a victim of scams.

Take Five To Stop Fraud

Take five is a national campaign offering straightforward, impartial advice that helps prevent email, phone-based and online fraud. 

Report a scam

Report a scam to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) if you think you've been contacted by an unauthorised firm or individual trying to scam you. 

Health and wellbeing

Your activity and health

We know being physically active is essential for improving physical health. But it's equally important for improving your mental health.

Big Norfolk Family Fun

The Big Norfolk Holiday Fun is a Norfolk County Council scheme delivered alongside Active Norfolk. It helps your child move lots, eat well and have fun.

Improve your mental wellbeing

Offering hints, tips, resources and easy, free things you can do to improve your wellbeing. Visit Norfolk County Council.

Home Library Service

This service provides books on wheels to the homes of people who cannot get to a branch or mobile library due to age, disability or mobility.

North Norfolk Help Hub

The North Norfolk Help Hub offer practical support, advice, and guidance. Visit our dedicated web page.

Chat Health

Is a secure NHS-approved text messaging service. All Norfolk young people aged 11 to 19 can text to start a conversation with a trained health professional.

Veterans mental health

Help for Heroes offers support for veterans and their families. Their services include self-guided support and one-to-one and group therapy.

Prison Advice and Care

Pact is a pioneering national charity that supports prisoners, people with convictions, and their children and families. 

Age Concern North Norfolk

If you are looking for a friendly and welcoming day care service for your loved one where all their needs can be accommodated.

Hear for Norfolk

Improving the lives of young people and adults of all ages in Norfolk with all degrees of hearing loss with practical and emotional support.

Combatting loneliness

A befriending service in Norfolk to link people to services that can help combat isolation and loneliness in Norfolk. Visit Norfolk County Council.

Advice and support for children

Have questions or concerns about your child's health and wellbeing? Contact the clinical team at Just One Norfolk.

Domestic Abuse

Find out how to get help if you or someone you know is a victim of domestic abuse.

Need to speak to someone?

Whether it’s you needing support or someone else. You can call Norfolk Mind, who will discuss the most appropriate service for you.

Helping you live your life

Wellbeing Norfolk & Waveney provide a range of support for people with mental health and emotional issues, such as low mood, depression or stress.