Support and advice if you're struggling to pay your rent or mortgage, and check if you can claim benefits to help towards your housing costs.

Housing Options

Our housing team offer support and advice on homelessness, mortgage and rent arrears, joining the housing register and illegal evictions.

View our housing pages

Struggling to pay your rent or council tax

Check if you can claim housing benefit, housing costs through Universal Credit, and council tax support.

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax support

Discretionary Housing Payment

You might be able to claim this benefit if your current housing benefits do not cover your rent.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments

Received an eviction notice from your landlord?

Get in touch with our Housing Options team immediately for advice and support.

Find out how the Council can help


Shelter, a national charity, offers help and advice on a range of housing and housing cost problems.

View housing advice on the Shelter website

Family Fund

Family Fund, a UK charity, can assist families raising disabled or seriously ill children and young people struggling to pay their rent.    

Find out more at Family Fund

Moving home

If you move from one rented property to another, you may be able to claim overlapping housing benefit.

Apply for benefit on two homes

Norfolk Assistance Scheme

The Norfolk Assistance Scheme (NAS) helps people who are in financial hardship and cannot pay their living costs.

Find out more about this scheme

Complaining about a landlord

If poor conditions in your rented property affect your health or safety, find out how to resolve these issues with your landlord.

Find out how to complain to your landlord