We regularly review Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claims. Find out what to do if you have a review.

Why we review

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, we may review your claim. A review ensures that your claim details are up to date and you're getting the correct entitlement.

Sending us evidence

We'll send you a letter to tell you when a review is due. We'll ask you to complete our review form. You'll also need to send us evidence for you and anyone in your household of:

  • income
  • savings
  • rent (if applicable)

Examples of the type of evidence we'll accept

Proof of income

You must provide proof of any income, such as:

  • payslips (five weekly, three fortnightly or two monthly)
  • state pension or benefit
  • private pension
  • Tax Credits
  • details of any other money coming in

Proof of savings

You must provide proof of any savings, such as:

  • bank statements (three months recent consecutive statements)
  • building society books
  • premium bonds and National Savings Certificates
  • details of endowment insurance policies
  • details of any other savings

Proof of rent

If you rent your home, you must provide proof, such as your:

  • tenancy agreement
  • rent book

Complete your review online

You can complete your review online and upload the evidence we need with the form.

To complete a benefit review online, you'll need:

  • benefit claim number
  • National Insurance number
  • evidence to show your income, savings and rent (if applicable)

Start a benefit review form

What happens next?

Once we've received your form, we'll review your entitlement and consider any changes. We'll send you a benefits letter to tell you if the amount of benefit you receive has changed. If there has been any change to your Council Tax Support, we'll send you an updated Council Tax bill.

Tell us about any changes

You must tell us about any changes as soon as they happen. You may not be paid the correct benefit or get overpaid if you don't. If you're overpaid, you will need to pay it back.