Banding and rateable value appeals are dealt with by the Valuation Office Agency.

There are only limited circumstances when an appeal can be made against banding or rateable value. These are restricted to:

  • Where there has been a material increase or reduction in the value of the property (perhaps resulting from demolition, conversion of houses into flats or physical changes in the locality which affect the value).
  • Where there is a change in the balance between domestic and business use.
  • Where the Valuation Office Agency has altered a list without a proposal having been made by the charge payer.
  • Where you become the charge payer for the first time or following a change in band (appeal must be made within 6 months).

Further information on property bandings, and how to appeal against them, can be obtained from the GOV.UK council tax banding appeals page or business rates appeals  page.