Find out what council tax discounts are available and how to apply for them.

The council tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a property. Discounts can apply for any of the following conditions. Download the appropriate application form in order to apply for a discount.

You can get a disability reduction if your home has certain adaptations that are specifically made to cater for a disabled resident’s needs. See our disabled band relief page.

Council Tax discounts for 2022 to 2023

At a meeting of the Full Council held at the Council Offices on 17 November 2021, Members formally set the levels of discount applicable to Council Tax for prescribed classes of dwellings for the financial year commencing 1 April 2022.

Available discounts

Single Person Discount

You may be entitled to a 25% single person's discount if you are the only adult who lives in your property, or if the other adults who live with you are disregarded because they fall into a specific category such as a student, a care worker or someone who is severely mentally impaired. In some situations where all residents are disregarded a discount of 50% can be awarded.

Apply now

Unoccupied furnished property

A full charge will apply for dwellings defined as being within class B (second homes).

Properties built before 1948

A discount of 35% for dwellings defined as being not capable of occupation all year round and were built before the restrictions by the Town and Country Planning Act 1947. 

Properties subject to a seasonal prohibition

A discount of 10% for dwellings defined as being within class A and both of the following:

  • are not an individual's sole or main residence and furnished
  • have seasonal planning prohibition preventing occupation for a continuous period of at least 28 days

Discount D

The previous 50% discount to Council Tax for major structural repair work was reduced to 0% discount from 1st April 2017.

Discount A

A person who is 18 and is still entitled to Child Benefit.

Discount B

A person who is severely mentally impaired.

Discount C

A person whose only or main home is in a hostel, hospital or nursing home where they receive care.

Discount D

A person in detention by order of a Court.

Discount E

Members of religious communities who have no income or capital of their own (monks and nuns).

Discount F

Members of international headquarters or defence organisations and their dependants (dependants who are UK citizens are not disregarded). Any person who wishes to claim this discount should send written confirmation from their organisation to the Council.

Discount G

A person living in a property who is employed for 24 hours or more a week as a volunteer care worker by a charity or similar institution and receives pay of no more than £36.00 per week.

Discount H

A person who lives in the same property as another person to whom they provide care for at least 35 hours per week on average (this does not apply to a spouse/partner or parent caring for a child under the age of 18).

Discounts I and J

A student, including nurses on Project 2000 (except students on a classroom based teacher training course) and a student nurse if first registration is under Section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979 (parts 1 to 6 or 8).

Discount K

An apprentice on a wage of less than £195.00 per week.

Discount L

A person employed on a Youth Training Scheme.

Discount M

A school leaver under the age of 20 who leaves school between 30th April and 1st November

Discount N

A foreign language student who is registered at the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges. The person applying will need to make a claim to the Council in writing giving proof of their prevention from claiming benefit and taking up employment.

Discount O

Residents of Hostels or Night Shelters. Tell us you're moving home.

Annexe discount 

A 50% discount for annexes which are occupied as part of the main home or is the main home of a relative of the council taxpayer of the main home.  Any person who wishes to claim this exemption should contact us for further information, using the contact details on this page.

Disabled Band Relief

You can get a disability reduction if your home has certain facilities for meeting the needs of a person with a disability, whether it is an adult or a child, provided they are living in the property.