If you have not received notification but believe you should be receiving a grant payment then please use our Eligibility Checker
The Chairman of the Council is Dr Clive Stockton
What does the Chairman of the Council do?
The Chairman of the Council has both a Civic and a Council role. This includes representing the whole Council during his/her term of office:
- Promoting public involvement in the Council’s activities
- Being an ambassador for the District, attending civic and ceremonial functions as the district’s first citizen
- Acting as a link between the Council and various groups and organisations
- Presiding over meetings of the Council so that its business can be undertaken efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community
- Upholding and promoting the Council’s Constitution and interpreting rules of procedure at meetings of Full Council
- Ensuring that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of relevance and concern to the local community
- Calling meetings of the Full Council in addition to ordinary meetings
- Attending meetings of the Cabinet and other Committees as appropriate
- Receiving recommendations from the Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee
- The Chairman has a casting vote in all decisions taken by the Council and this is exercised in the event of a tie at a Council meeting.
How is the Chairman appointed?
The Chairman is elected by District Councillors at the Full Council in May each year. The Vice-Chairman is appointed at the same meeting.
Who can be Chairman?
Any elected Member of the Council is eligible for appointment to the office of Chairman unless s/he is a Member of the Cabinet.
Who is the Vice-Chairman?
The Vice-Chairman is Cllr Jeremy Punchard
You can see a list of past Chairman and Vice-Chairman of North Norfolk District Council