Questions that a tenant may ask about their rights and responsibilities when renting privately.

Am I overcrowded?

There is no longer a specific, numeric, standard for the number of people who may live, or sleep, in a  rented house or individual room. Crowding is one of the hazards assessed under the Housing Health and Rating System (HHSRS). We will take into account any other hazards that exist in the building and whether, or not, those hazards are made worse by the number of people living there. For example, if you only have one bathroom, or a small kitchen, hazards may arise if too many people share those facilities

What fire precautions do I need?

There are standards that the North Norfolk District Council has adopted for homes within its area. Provided these standards are met, the fire precautions and means of escape will be of an acceptable standard for occupation. However, in complicated situations, an inspection by a Council Officer may be required to ensure the appropriate levels of provision are made.

For further information view guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing.

How often should my gas supply be checked?

If your home has a gas supply, your landlord is required by law to ensure that a safety check is carried out on each gas appliance/flue every year. Within 28 days of the check being carried out your landlord must give you a copy of the safety inspection. Any new tenant must also receive a copy of the current certificate. Your landlord must keep records of every safety check for two years.

Landlords are not obliged to check any appliance which is owned by you, or any flues/chimneys which are only connected to an appliance owned by you.

If you are concerned that your landlord is not complying with the law, ring the Health and Safety Executive’s Gas Safety Line on 0800 300363 or to visit their website.

Is furniture a fire hazard?

All upholstered furniture which is supplied in rented property to a new tenant must comply with fire safety standards. For further information visit the Norfolk County Council's Trading Standards page or email