There are a number of ways to resolve health and safety issues with your landlord, if poor conditions are affecting your health or you have safety concerns about your home.

The property you rent should provide a healthy and safe environment for you and your family as well as any visitors and should be free from unavoidable hazards.

Your home should be in a reasonable:

  • state of repair;
  • have modern facilities and services,
  • have degree of thermal comfort.

Landlord's safety responsibilities

With respect to repairs in particular, landlords are typically responsible for:

  • the structure of the property (walls, roof, windows and doors)
  • basins, baths, sinks and toilets
  • fires, radiators and water heaters
  • water, gas and electricity supply and meters
  • water tanks, boilers and central heating systems

Writing to your landlord

If the property you are renting is in an unsatisfactory condition or is in need of repair, the first step is to write to your landlord. Do not stop paying rent - this could give your landlord grounds for taking court action to evict you.

You can use this sample letter to send to your landlord.

When your landlord receives your letter, they should arrange for any necessary remedial action or repairs to take place. 

However this may differ depending on the conditions of your tenancy. When you sign your tenancy agreement you should find out which repairs your landlord is responsible for, which repairs you should do, and how to report a repair.

Further information

The Shelter website has information about the different ways you can resolve a complaints about private landlords

The government website has a section on private renting which covers, repairs, rent increases and arrears, settling disputes, deposits and your rights and responsibilities.

Complain to environmental health about rented housing

If the reported problem is not resolved promptly by your landlord, please contact Environmental Protection 01263 516085 or email  

Housing Complaints Procedure

On receipt of a housing condition complaint, Environmental Protection will take the next steps:

  1. We will assess your complaint and give appropriate advice.
  2. We will advise you of the next steps and make a request for any letters that you have sent to your landlord about the repairs.
  3. Once we receive your letters, we will decide whether a site visit is required to assess conditions within your property.
  4. If a an inspection is required, we will send a Notice of Entry to you and your landlord to confirm the date and time of the inspection.
  5. An Officer from Environmental Protection will inspect your home and carry out an assessment of any hazards using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).
  6. On completion of the inspection, we will write to your landlord to require remedial works to address any repairs.
  7. If the repairs are not completed within the agreed time, Environmental Protection will contact your landlord again to ask why the works are not complete. If your landlord fails to provide satisfactory reasons then a Statutory Notice may be served requiring completion of repairs within a reasonable period of time.