Residential site licencing

Residential mobile home sites known as 'park home sites' and mixed sites with residential and holiday mobile homes must be licenced under the Mobile Homes Act 2013.

Site owners of existing sites will need to apply for a new licence under this legislation because the licence they currently hold for residential caravans and mobile homes under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 is no longer valid since 1 April 2015. However, for mixed sites, the old licence will continue to apply for the site's holiday and touring caravan element.

Fit and proper person register

Planning permission for residential mobile homes must be in place, and the site owner or manager must be a 'fit and proper' person to hold a licence. 

Complete the fit and proper person application form to be included on the register.

NNDC Register of fit and proper persons


The mobile homes fees policy details our fees for site owners. 

Are you buying or selling an existing site?

We advise owners of residential sites who intend to sell or prospective buyers of sites to contact the Council to discuss the implications for them well before any site sale.

Licence conditions

If the general conditions for residential sites are unmet, the Council can take enforcement action, including serving compliance or fixed penalty notices. Site licence conditions protect residents' health, safety and welfare and cover such things as drainage and distances between mobile homes. 

Site rules

Site rules on residential mobile home sites ensure community cohesion and good management of the site. They also make sure that mobile homeowners are clear about the rules that apply to them.

Under the Mobile Homes (Site Rules) Regulations 2014, we must keep and publish an up-to-date register of park home rules. 

Residential mobile home site rules register

Changing site rules

This legislation details a site owner's procedure when making, varying, or deleting a site rule. They establish the process for consulting on proposed changes, grant appeals rights and require local authorities to keep and publish a register of site rules of sites in their area.


  1. When a site owner reviews the existing rules or wants to make new ones, they must consult with all mobile homeowners and any qualifying resident's association (QRA). The consultation must be open for all responses for a minimum of 28 days. Within 21 days of the end of the consultation, the site owner must send a consultation response document to all homeowners. It shows them the result of the consultation and which site rules are to be adopted.
  2. If a mobile homeowner wishes to appeal the site owner's decision to adopt, delete or vary a suite rule, they must apply to the Residential Property Tribunal (RPT) within 21 days of receiving the consultation response document.
  3. Once the new rules are agreed upon, the site owner must deposit the new rules with the Council within 42 days after serving the consultation response document. If an appeal has been lodged, the site owner can only send the site rules once the appeal has been determined. Once the appeal has been decided, the site owner has 14 days to send the site rules to the Council unless specified by the tribunal.

The site owner may set site rules on residential caravan sites, and the Council does not enforce these rules. However, some rules may be a duplicate of the site licence conditions. The site rules are part of the contract between the homeowner and site owner and supplement the Mobile Homes Act Agreement.

View site rules and the process for reviewing on the GOV.UK website for further information. 

Related content

For site owners  

British Holiday and Home Park Association

For site residents

National Association of Park Home Residents

Contact us

Please contact the Public Protection and Environmental Health team at or call 01263 513811 if you have questions about caravan site licensing or the standards of accommodation being provided in a mobile home or caravan site.