A licence is required to drive either a licensed hackney or a private vehicle (dual licence allows driver to drive a hackney carriage vehicle or private hire vehicle) and must work for a licensed taxi operator. The application will be determined within 28 days (for new once an acceptable DBS disclosure has been received) and 7 days (for renewal) from the receipt by this authority of an acceptable and complete application.

All persons wishing to become a Licensed Taxi Driver within North Norfolk will need, in the first instance, to contact the District Council to arrange an interview with a member of the Licensing Team. This interview will take approximately one hour and will discuss the individuals suitability to become a taxi driver, explain the timescales of application and will go through the Taxi Policy and Handbook. A copy of the taxi handbook together with the necessary application forms and information will be given to all new licensed taxi drivers. Copies can be purchased from NNDC (see taxi licensing fees). We encourage new applicants to have read the handbook before attending an interview.

A taxi driver should ensure that they renew their licence prior to it's expiry date. Once licence has expired they must reapply as a new driver.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on the application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Last updated: 9th April 2021