Scam alert

North Norfolk residents warned about firms that charge them for council-tax appeals

The amount of Council Tax charged across the District varies, as parish and town councils set their own levy, or precept, each year. 

If you live on your own or are on a low income you are entitled to discounts or exemptions in your Council Tax. 

If you let your property as holiday accommodation and it is available for letting for 140 days or more in a year, it should be rated for business rates.

There are eight bands, A to H, and the relationship between the Council Tax amounts for each band has been set by the Government, with the basic rate fixed at band D.

View Council Tax charges for 2018 / 2019

Changes that may affect your Council Tax banding

Your property may be revalued and put in a different band in some circumstances, for example if:

  • you demolish part of your property and don’t rebuild it
  • you alter your property to create 2 or more self-contained units, for example an annexe - each unit will have its own band
  • you split a single property into self-contained flats
  • you convert flats into a single property
  • you start or stop working from home
  • the previous owner made changes to your property
  • there are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built
  • a similar property in your area has its Council Tax band changed

Ask the VOA if you want to know if changes to your property will affect your Council Tax band.