Statutory nuisances can relate to noise, smells, artificial light, smoke and more.

Making a complaint about a statutory nuisance

Statutory nuisance exists to deal with issues such as noisy neighbours (domestic and commercial), smells or smoke.

Before contacting us, it is a good idea to approach the person causing the nuisance and explain the problem politely to see if it can be resolved informally.  Check out our sound advice for a quiet neighbourhood guide, you may find a way to resolve your issue before contacting us.

If you hear an alarm sounding, contact the police. If they have attended and there has not been any criminal activity, but the alarm is still firing for more than 20 minutes continuously, or for over an hour intermittently, use the details in the side bar to contact the Environmental Protection team who will investigate.

Report a nuisance

Further guidance