Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are a national programme funded by the central government to help to ensure that people with a disability, chronic illness or a reduced level of mobility can continue to live independently and safely within their own homes. The maximum grant award is £30,000

Means testing of applicants

We use a standardised financial means test to decide if a person is eligible for the grant, unless the application is for a child or young person aged 18 or below. If you receive passport benefits, you are also free from the means test.

List of passport benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Council tax support
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Working Tax credits (income-based)
  • Employment support allowance (income-based) 


If you are not receiving any of these benefits, you may still be eligible for a grant to help pay towards the cost of adaptations. You can use this online means test calculator to see if you are eligible before contacting us.

This calculator is only a guide, and a full means test will need to be done by our team to process your application. 

If you are not eligible for the disabled facilities grant to pay for the cost of adaptations, you can contact us to discuss your options. Also contact us if you would like to be considered for a grant and are currently not receiving income-related benefits.

How we calculate the grant

We will send you an initial financial assessment form. Please complete and return it to us. We use this information to calculate if you have to make a financial contribution towards the cost of any adaptation work. 

Depending on your financial circumstances, you may be eligible to receive a partial or full grant or not qualify for any grant. You will need to provide supporting evidence for your means tests results. We will write to you with the results of the preliminary assessment and request verification documents, if necessary, for example, bank statements and award letters. 

Who is assessed?

We financially assess:

  • both partners for married couples and those who cohabit
  • the person with the disability, even if they are living with parents or children

We do not assess applicants:

  • aged 18 or below
  • who receive passport benefits 

Work that is eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant

We provide grants for essential adaptations that aim to increase the independence of individuals and reduce the need for formal care. 

Some examples can include: 

  • Access to and from the home, for example, installing ramps or steps.
  • Providing or improving access to essential rooms, for example, bedroom and bathing facilities. 
  • Installing a level access shower facility to aid independent bathing.
  • Making the home more accessible, such as installing a stairlift or widening doorways. 
  • Providing a suitable heating system to meet the assessed needs of the individual 
  • Adapting heating or lighting controls to make them more accessible.
  • Making access to and from the garden safe. 
  • Creating hard standings for vehicle access where there is an assessed need. 

Equipment not covered by the grant

The grant cannot be used to make minor adaptations that cost under £1000 or purchase small aids and other equipment designed to aid those living with a disability. Such as:

  • floor fixed galvanised hand rails
  • perching stools
  • bath chairs
  • grab rails
  • trolleys
  • walkers
  • half steps 

If you are not eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant or would like to access advice or an assessment for small aids or equipment, contact Norfolk Adult Social Services at 0344 800 8020. Visit care support and health at Norfolk County Council, which provides information on additional support services.

Alternatively, you can purchase small aids and equipment directly from suppliers listed below.

Disability aids suppliers 

Complete Care Shop

Essential Aids UK

Ability Superstore

Manage At Home

The Mobility Aids Centre Ltd

Disabled Living's Online Shop

Step by step guide to applying for the grant

We've created this guide to help you understand the process of applying for a grant.

Step 1

We conduct an initial assessment over the phone with a member of the Housing Adaptations Team. If you're unable to manage this yourself, you can ask someone do so on your behalf. You will need to let us know that they have permission to do this.

Step 2

The team will provide you with an application form and advise you of any supporting documentation that is needed.

Step 3

We may arrange a visit to your home to survey the property and assess if adaptions are reasonable and can be done.

Step 4

We will then review your grant application and discuss the options and next steps with you.

Step 5

Your grant will be formally approved by the council when the proposed adaptations have been agreed upon and all required paperwork completed.

Step 6

Work can now start. We will pay the grant payment once the work has been completed and you are happy with the work. We will ask you to provide feedback about your experience of the process.

How to apply

You can contact North Norfolk District Council by using our online contact us form.

Start form

Alternatively, you can call us on 01263 513811. Your request will be passed to the Integrated Housing Adaptions Team, who will contact you to discuss your needs.

Do I have to pay the grant back?

No, you will not have to pay back the grant in most cases. However, If you own the property and dispose of it by sale, assignment, transfer or otherwise within ten years of completed grant work, we would require repayment under the conditions of the grant.

In this case, you would have to repay any part of the grant which exceeded £5,000. However, we would not demand repayment of more than £10,000. 

Trusted traders

Trust a Trader

Norfolk Trusted Trader - Norfolk County Council

Trusted Traders in Norfolk | Recommended Tradesmen Reviews and Ratings in Norfolk 

Find traders near you with Which?