Find out how to apply for a site licence and the rules and regulations for owning and running a site.

Why do I need a site licence?

Anyone stationing a caravan or mobile home on land and using it for accommodation will require planning permission for the caravan or static mobile home. It is also true for using the land for residential caravan purposes.

Where a site has appropriate planning permission, the site owner must have a caravan and motor home site licence, which North Norfolk District Council issues. Planning permissions are individual to each site, so licensing permissions may vary.

Please note that we can only issue a licence with corresponding planning permission.

A caravan and motor home licence applies to any structure designed or adapted for human habitation that can be moved from one place to another, whether by being towed or transported on a motor vehicle or trailer and any motor vehicle so designed or adapted.

It does not include any railway rolling stock, which is for the time being on rails forming part of a railway system, or any tent as defined in the S29 (1) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

The licence ensures that the standards are being maintained to protect the safety and public health of the users. For example, providing adequate space between the units will reduce the likelihood of fire spreading and ensure that fire precautions are maintained to an appropriate standard.

Other considerations will be that the electricity supply to the site is safe and that there are adequate water, sanitation, and recreational space facilities. Due to the location of many caravan parks to the cliff edge, we will monitor the separation distance of caravans to the cliff edge. Caravan and motor home park owners must show they have assessed these risks to protect the public from harm.

The site operator's guide to health and safety contains information for site operators to understand better the health and safety expectations to manage sites, including working operations.

How long is the licence valid for?

Once issued, the license remains indefinite unless surrendered or revoked.   


Some situations do not require licensing by the Council, and these are defined in the Schedule 1 of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

All other sites, including single residential sites, also require a site licence issued by the Council.


The Council may attach conditions to licences as it thinks fit and are specific to each site.

However, general conditions are available below:

Site inspections

Council officers will do the following:

  • inspect and licence caravan and motor home sites
  • conduct unannounced site inspections to ensure licence conditions are being upheld
  • investigate complaints

How to apply

Please complete the application form to apply for or transfer a caravan and motor home licence.

You must use Adobe Reader to complete this form. Downloading Adobe Reader is free.

All applications must have an appropriate planning reference as evidence of planning permission and a site plan to scale, with the site's boundaries marked in red. The plan should indicate the position of roadways, fire or emergency points, facilities, and plot locations.

Where to send your application

By email  

Or by post

Environmental Health Department
Licensing Team
North Norfolk District Council
Holt Road 
NR27 9EN

Further information

Find out more about residential mobile homes and sites.

Making a complaint about a site

If you have any complaints or concerns about sites, please contact the Public Protection team using the contact details below.

Contact us

Please contact the Public Protection and Environmental Health team at or call 01263 513811 if you have questions about caravan site licensing or the standards of accommodation being provided in a mobile home or caravan site.