If you are entitled to either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support you are also likely to qualify for Pension Credit.

There are two types:

  • Guarantee Credit this guarantees a minimum level of income to anyone of qualifying age.
  • Savings Credit this is an award for pensioners over 65 who have savings or a second pension.

It is possible to receive either, or a combination of both of these.

If you are eligible for Guarantee Credit, you will automatically be entitled to the maximum level of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support (unless anyone else other than your partner lives in your household).

If you receive Savings Credit only, you may qualify for a full or partial award. Please be aware that any claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support must be made separately to your Pension Credit claim.

You can make an application for Pension Credit in one of the following ways:

  • Telephoning the Pension Service on free phone 0800 991234
  • Telephoning a textphone on 0800 169 0133 if you have speech or hearing difficulties

For further information visit the Pension Credit web page.