Alternative Maximum Benefit (AMB) is an alternative to Council Tax Support

It compensates the claimants for the loss of a 25% single person discount to their Council Tax if their home is shared with a second adult who is on a low income. It is based on the income of the second adult, the claimant’s income and savings will have no effect on how much Alternative Maximum Benefit they will receive.

Who can claim this benefit?

To qualify for Alternative Maximum Benefit you must be the person responsible for paying the council tax and the other adult must be on a low income and at least 18 years old. It does not apply if the other adult is your partner, is responsible for Council Tax themselves or is renting from you.

How much will I receive?

Depending on the income of the second adult you could receive up to 25% towards the cost of your Council Tax. Any Alternative Maximum Benefit awarded is paid directly to your Council Tax account, you will then receive a bill from the Council Tax department for the remaining balance.

Apply for Alternative Maximum Benefit

If you have been asked to provide evidence or information in support of a new or existing claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, the best way to do so is to upload it using our online claim evidence form.

Send supporting evidence