The UK Government is changing how we vote. From May 2023, you will need to show photo ID when you vote at a polling station.
Register to vote
Join the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums.
Even if you pay council tax to us, you won't automatically be registered to vote. You need to register to vote separately.
Applications to register to vote at the May 2023 elections must be made by midnight on Monday 17 April.
Am I registered to vote?
Not sure if you're already registered? Use our online form to check.
How to register to vote
You can register to vote online via the gov.uk website which takes around 5 minutes.
Make sure you have:
- your National Insurance number
- your passport if you are a British citizen living abroad
You can also use service to:
- update your name, address or other details on the electoral register
- change your voting preferences e.g. to vote in person or by post
- change whether you're on the open register
Can I vote?
The Electoral Commission website contains advice and guidance about what people in the following groups need to know to make sure they are able to have their say at elections:
- British citizens living overseas
- People serving in the armed forces
- People without a fixed address