Now open for nominations
An overpayment of benefit occurs when you are paid Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support to which you have no entitlement.
This generally results from a change in circumstances reducing your benefit from a date in the past, such as:
- You may have neglected to advise us of an increase in your income, for example: Tax Credit / Wages / State benefits / Pensions
- Somebody may have moved into or out of your home. This would mean that your entitlement would need to be recalculated
- The circumstances of other adults who live with you may have changed
- You may have moved out of your home and not told us
- You may have started work, or changed jobs
Even if the overpayment isn’t your fault you may still be required to repay it, if the Council could reasonably expect you to know you were being overpaid.
If an overpayment is created, North Norfolk District Council is duty bound to recover it.
If the overpayment is the result of fraud, we will recover any benefit paid to you that you were not entitled to. You could also be prosecuted - see our Benefit Fraud page.
If you have trouble making payments
Contact our Housing Benefit Overpayment Recovery Team immediately on 01263 516309.
As soon as you realise you have a problem paying your invoice you should talk to the Council immediately.
Offer to pay by instalment
If you need to make an arrangement to repay your Housing Benefit Overpayment, because you're finding it hard to repay this in one go, please download an offer to pay form and return this as soon as possible.
Independent financial advice
Tel: 0800 280 2816
Tel: 03444 111 444
Tel: 0800 138 1111
Tel: 0808 808 4000
Money Advice Service
Tel: 0300 500 5000
Tel: 0800 731 4880
Tel: 0300 777 0107
UK Government online
Christians Against Poverty
Tel: 01274 760720